10 ways to find an inside contact
You can't get very far into a job search without being exposed to the usual advice that networking is the most effective way to get a new job. But how does networking apply to finding a job in a specific, targeted company where you don't know anyone?
Liz Ryan has a list of 10 good ideas on how to use Internet-based resources to how to find a contact inside a target company. Here's a quick summary, but it's worth going to the source for the long version.
- The company website, under About Us.
- WorldWIT email groups (for women).
- Google Blog Search.
- Your local business paper's online archive.
- The Yahoogroups archives.
- The relevant/logical professional association for the person you seek.
- Mentions of community involvement and local causes on the company's website.
- Your alma mater's alumni database.